Essay PreviewMore ↓
Three robbers entered a Commerce City, Colo., residence, one of them pulled a knife, according to officials. The two men and a woman apparently had planned to rob an acquaintance: but the homeowner resisted the threat, drawing his semiautomatic handgun and shooting the two men. After the three fled, they called for medical help from a cousin's house. The police followed shortly thereafter. "As soon as they get out of the hospital, we'll be there to meet and greet them," said Sgt. Craig Coleman of the Adams County Sheriff's Dept. (rifleman)
These are two of many different stories that are produced monthly by the magazine American Rifleman. Every issue gives 4 to 7 stories on how handgun's save lives everyday. There are many people who believe that a handgun can save your life, but there also people who believe that they are just used for bad guys to kill. The Constitution states that we have the right to keep and bare arms, but there are some groups that have decided that is not right. They will do whatever it takes to change Amendment 2.
This year there was a new gun law added to the long list of gun laws. In Colorado and Oregon the law was passed with a huge margin. The law states that you can not buy a gun at a gun show without a background check, and for it to be a gun show there only needs to be 3 or more people. So, in other words many of the police officers in the world will now be breaking the law when the switch guns with other officers. For instance, there are four officers standing around at the police station, and a couple of them decided to try out each others gun for a day or two. Under this new law, the officers have now broken the law. Many gun owners say there is no need for this new law. The NRA and many other pro-gun groups did everything they could try and make sense of it to people. Even after spending almost 2 million dollars, they still failed. (Kleck). Sarah Brady, Chair of Handgun Control, Inc, was quoted when she said, " These two overwhelming victories clearly demonstrate that all Americans, including gun owners, support responsible gun laws which keep criminals from buying guns.
How to Cite this Page
"Argumentative Essay: Guns Do NOT Kill People." 123HelpMe.com. 15 Dec 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- With all the problems that occur today with gun violence on the television and political advocates against guns. The question that I always wanted to ask is, “are all the horrible things they say about guns true.” Are guns truly a danger or is it hype. Violence is prominent in society. The politicians claim we solve disputes through talking and negotiations. However, the truth is that most conflicts ultimately end with the pointing of a weapon. I researched why people wanted guns. Most claim it is for hunting or pleasure (the shooting clay pigeon or targets).... [tags: argumentative essay, gun laws]
1198 words (3.4 pages)
- Guns Don't Kill People - Criminals Do It's late at night, and you're home all alone. You double checked to make sure all of the doors were locked and made sure all of the windows were closed. It's been a quiet night, but for some odd reason you cannot sleep. During your restless night, you hear a bump in the kitchen. At first you dismiss it as the wind. But there it is again, and it's louder this time. You're scared, your pulse is racing and you cannot think of what to do. You don't know whether to call 911 or just lay there and hope whatever it was will go away. But then you realize you have a 9-mm Smith and Wesson hand gun in the nightstand. You quietly get it out, tak... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Gun Control]
1274 words (3.6 pages)
- School shootings have altered American history greatly over the past two decades. From 1997 to 2007, there have been more than 40 school shootings, resulting in over 70 deaths and many more injuries. School shoot-outs have been increasing in number dramatically in the past 20 years. There are no boundaries as to how old the child would be, or how many people they may kill or injure. At Mount Morris Township, Michigan, on February 29th, 2000, there was a 6 year old boy who shot and killed another 6 year old girl at the Buell Elementary School with a .32 caliber pistol.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- When our fore fathers first came onto this land, they were oppressed by their rulers. These wise men decided to stage a revolt against their government and start up a new government, with a set of rules, laws and rights. They did not stage this massive revolt by negotiation, or arbitration but with blood shed on both sides. When the revolt was over, the fore fathers had risen to victory through the use of warfare and guns. They then decided to make a bill stating the basic rights that every man in the country could have.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- Guns and Violence School shootings, gang violence, drive by shootings, murder, and thousands of acts of violence are committed every day. Members of our society criticize their own people for this violence while they continue to sit back and do nothing about it. These acts of violence have many contributing factors. Violence in our country today is escalating because we don't control the distribution of the guns sold. There are not enough restrictions on guns sold legally. The illegal purchase of guns through the black market is out of control.... [tags: Argument Argumentative Weapons Arms Essays]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- "Our cause is just, our cause is real, our cause is now!" cried out Mayor Wellington Webb. While watching the television news, I heard the mayor say this. I also found out that over the past five years one hundred and fifteen homicides occurred each year. Obviously the harmful situation involving guns is growing to new horrible heights. The news show was about gun control. If the mayor acknowledges that there is a problem, we as the citizens should also. Restricting the right to bear arms will undoubtedly make any community safer.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
677 words (1.9 pages)
- Posession of Guns in the USA Zimring and Hawkins states that America is a gun culture with these words from the report of the National Commission on the Causes and Prevention of Violence in 1969. "Firearms have long been an important part of American life. For many years the armed citizen-soldier was the country's first line of defense. Firearms no longer play a significant role in keeping food on American tables, yet Americans own and use firearms to a degree that puzzles many observers. If our frontier has disappeared, our frontier tradition remains" (Zimring and Hawkins, 1987: 30).... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
1374 words (3.9 pages)
- Being a young American I have witnessed many problems with growing up in this great country of ours. We have homeless people who can't find work, rising inflation rates, an unbalanced budget, and more importantly, a problem with guns. Like every other good ol' boy, I am concerned about being the victim of a random shooting, but at the same time, I want to be able to take down a nice10-point buck during hunting season. Guns effect every one of us every day. They fill us with fear or they make us feel protected.... [tags: Argumentative Essays, Persuasive ]
1502 words (4.3 pages)
- Each year, guns end the lives of thousands of young people. Families and friends are left to cope with the loss of a life lived and to have a future overshadowed by the violence. Nearly 80% of all teenage deaths are the result of violence like homicides, suicides motor vehicle crashes and other unintentional injury( “Risk and Protective”).Teenage violence has gone up almost 300% in the last thirty years (“Teenage Violence in America”,1) and it is still rising. In 1998, among youth ages 10 to 19 in the United States, there were 2,601 homicide deaths, and homicide was the second leading cause of death for the age group (“ Youth Violence Statistics”).... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
2156 words (6.2 pages)
- People for Gun Control The recent events that has happened, such as the school shootings and all the violence seen on television, has without a doubt made many of us consider gun control as a possible solution to the violence that has spread across the nation. On the other hand there are other ways to reduce the violence besides using gun control to do that, which are teaching proper gun handling and making mandatory licensing to obtain a gun. With gun control laws the government is putting the average citizen in harms way by taking there gun away from them.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Example Essays]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
One of the main topics on gun control, is whether or not they are a effective way of self-defense. Who is to say whether or not a gun is a good mean of self defense or not. Well some of those questions are answered by the report done by a criminologist working at Florida State University. A criminologist by the name of Gary Kleck researched data from the Department of Justice while at Florida State University. He learned that victims which have defended themselves with a handgun during a robbery or an assault, have the least chance of being injured, or the crime being finished out. Anti-gun people say you don't need a gun to help save your life. You can just try and escape, reason with the offender, or use physical resistance (other than a handgun), and that will work. That is not true. Gary Kleck discovered by doing all of those things, there is actually a larger chance of injury and the crime being completed. (Kleck). These statistics are the same when it comes to burglaries. Most of the time when the victims resisted with a handgun, there was a less chance of the crime being committed or the victim being hurt.
In Kleck's study only 33 percent of the surviving robbery victims were hurt, about 25 percent did not resist, and 17 percent who used a handgun, were injured. The same comes with assault victims. Of the 30 percent that survived with injury, 27 percent gave to resistance, and only 12 percent that resisted with a handgun were injured. There were no sites to be found that had anything to say against these statements. The major point that Kleck shows is that people were less likely to be injured when they defended themselves with a handgun, than do those who give no resistance at all.
Another topic that is discussed over and over is that of accidental gun shots. Many of the anti-gun groups say that is a major problem with guns. Again Gary Kleck the criminologist says something different. He says they are actually very rare. In is estimations only 2 percent of fatal gun accidents occur during defensive gun use. He estimates only about 30 per year. There are about 2 million defensive gun uses each year, which would mean that fatal gun accidents are less than 1 in about 65,000. Anti-gun groups say to make the gun childproof. But according to Timothy Wheeler it is almost impossible to do so without making it useless to the owner. There is no way to childproof it completely. The most effective way of child proofing is safety education. There are special classes that you can enroll your child in to help ensure safety. They teach the correct way to handle and shoot a gun. (Wheeler).
The percentages of felons who have had an occurrence with an armed victim and have been scared off and not finished their crime is a lot larger than most think. Wheeler learned that 34 percent of felons said they have been ran off, shot at, wounded, or captured by a victim with a handgun. About 69 percent say that they know a criminal who as also been scared off because of an armed victim. Also about 57 percent say that they are more worried about meeting up with an armed person than they are about running into the police.
A lot of the time people are told how bad the violent death rates are. Like a report by the Los Angeles Times. It says that there are over 34,000 gun deaths in the U.S. A lot of these articles are written by people who are against guns, so they make sure they do not give the entire truth. They try to make guns sound a lot worse than they really are. For instance in the Los Angeles Times, the forget to tell everyone that over half of those are actually suicides. (GunCite). This is how it usually is with the anti-gun groups. They only tell part of the story and do not add all of the details. It only tells you that since 1970 the number of guns has been increasing, but they forget to tell you that the homicide rates have not been going up. (GunCite) Also the percentage of people owning guns has gone down from 49 percent to 40 percent, but the violent crimes have risen and fallen. So in fact The number of gun owners does not affect how many crimes are committed. Another report says that guns are about 43 more likely to kill family members than to kill a criminal. But they leave out that of those 43 deaths, 86 percent (37) were suicides.
The gun war has been going on for years. Every person has a different point on how guns should be dealt with. Ever since the beginning of man the constitution says that we have the right to keep and bare arms. People will always be trying to get rid of handguns, and there will always be people that will be fighting to save them. No matter what is said there is one quote from the National Rifle Association that should be remembered "Guns do not kill people, people kill people."